94% of people are satisfied with Smart Reno
Repair an exterior mud room
Smart Reno provided contractors that were interested in my small job. Other sites were only interested in large $$$ jobs. I found this very helpful.
Connected me with a lot of contractors and provides a lot of options.
All windows to be replaced
Brillmat were great, job still not quite finished but installers did a good job... some mess left behind but overall great service
Julie, Hudson Heights
Why choose Smart Reno?
With Smart Reno, it's simple, fast and efficient. All you have to do is confirm your choice and the project can start! Trust Smart Reno to find experts of quality.
All our contractors are verified
- Client reviews
- Background check
Tips & tricks for kitchen renovation
Compare quotes: before you start renovations, we recommend you compare about 3 quotes to get an idea of the budget that can represent your project.
Meet the contractor: it is important to meet the contractor, as this will allow you to see if you feel comfortable with him. He will be at your house for days or even weeks. It is a point not to neglect!
Use a designer: indeed, the help of a designer can be invaluable for the realization of a kitchen. It could save you time by coordinating all stages of your project. It will facilitate communication with the various contractors during the project and can enforce your budget. Smart Reno can help you find a designer for renovating your kitchen.
How much does it cost to renovate a kitchen?
Evaluating the amount that will cost you renovating your kitchen is sometimes difficult. Indeed, this will depend on many criteria: if you make a partial or complete renovation. Choosing materials, adding an island or changing the floor will also influence the total price of your kitchen.
Example of price for a kitchen renovation project
Complete renovation kitchen of 150ft2, with cabinets, counters, painting, tiles backsplash and flooring.
|Type of renovation||Predictable budget|
|Economic $||$17,000 to $26,000|
|Standard $$||$21,000 to $32,000|
|High end $$$||$29,000 to $43,000|
Our tips to renovate a kitchen on a tight budget
Repainting Cabinets: Rather than changing entire cabinets, a less expensive option is available to you: repainting the cabinets. Choose a beautiful paint color that you like and you will feel like having a new kitchen at a lower cost!
Choice of materials: To reduce the amount of the bill of your kitchen renovation, there are many possibilities with the wide choice of existing materials. Here are some examples of materials that will save you money:
- Melamine: this material can be very interesting for your cabinets. It is very resistant, easy to clean and really inexpensive.
- Laminate: for your countertops, choose laminate rather than quartz or granite. It costs a lot less, on average $25 to $50 per square foot and its installation is very easy.
- Linoleum: linoleum is a good alternative for your floor because it is very easy to maintain and resistant. It also keeps the heat, so it prevents getting cold feet! Its price is very affordable: $5 to $12 per square foot.
Change the backsplashes:
You could change the backsplash or even repaint the ceramic. This will greatly change the look of your kitchen and while maintaining a reasonable budget.
The choice of appliances:
If you have already invested a lot of money in renovating your kitchen, delaying the renewal of your appliances will reduce the bill.
If you still want to change your appliances at the time of the renovation, do not hesitate to ask for a discount if you buy wholesale. You can also opt for unpacked devices. The price can sometimes be reduced from 40 to 60%.
How to renovate kitchen cabinets?
New custom cabinets can change the look of your kitchen. This could mean adding new cabinets to your walls or even to your kitchen island. Or, it could mean simply sprucing up existing cabinets with new kitchen cabinet doors, fresh paint or under-cabinet lighting. You might even consider pull-out cabinets to add storage without taking up extra space on the walls.
Handy homeowners may try do-it-yourself assembly with new kitchen cabinets or cabinet doors, but installation service may be the best option if you want to be certain that everything is done right and will last for a long, long time.
How to survive a kitchen renovation?
Homeowners might not realize one of the biggest challenges of kitchen renovation projects until it is too late. When your home is undergoing a major kitchen remodel, things you take for granted, like the kitchen sink, could be unusable. You could end up with all your dishes and non-perishable food stored in your living room or dining room.
You should plan ahead so that you can survive any potential drawbacks during a kitchen remodel. The kitchen sink is one thing that you won’t be able to access, but what about cooking and storing your food?
Set up a temporary kitchen: the best option might be to set up a temporary kitchen and to plan meals that require little or no cooking. During the summer, you may be able to cook outside (a week of barbecuing would not be too bad, would it?)
Set up a temporary kitchen: if you use an installation service, they will be able to estimate how long the kitchen remodel will take. The best kitchen installation contractors may even guarantee that the project will be completed by a certain date. This will make it easier for you to plan how to deal with not having your kitchen because you will know exactly when you will have access to it again.
Choose the right contractor: a kitchen renovation is an investment. You will want to make certain that you are working with a qualified contractor who can handle any permits and help you create a kitchen that will look and function like you want it to while staying within your budget. Now all you need are renovation ideas!
Kitchen Cabinet, Countertop & Appliance – I am buying from IKEA
Kitchen Contract work (Quote 1)
• Breaking down the current cabinets and removing them, removal of existing tiles (Back splash, Floor tiles) in kitchen.
• Breaking open the over_head space on 2 walls.
• Breaking down a part of the surrounding wall of kitchen to make it an open concept kitchen + Extending a part of kitchen wall
• Installation cost for Kitchen cabinets + Counter top + Appliances (Gas cook top + Dish washer + Convection oven)
• Apply new Floor tiles, Back splash
• Plumbing + Gas work - Fitting of appliance as the Gas line need to be extended to connect to the Gas cook top and also there would be plumbing work for connecting to the Dishwasher.
• Electric Work - Fix pot lights in the kitchen & One hanging light
• Connecting Exhaust out of kitchen
Non Kitchen Contract work (Quote 2)
• Fix Handrail for steps to Basement
• Change doors to ward robe space in the bedroom - Qty: 2 (Earlier it was 4 but we changed it to 2)
• Fixing panels on 2 walls of Garage
• Changing Electric sockets in house - Qty : 20
• Replacing bathroom shower headset.
Bathrooms and kitchens need to be fixed
I have two bathrooms and kitchens that need to be fixed. A brief list of work is here:
- Basic Plumping like change the tabs, valves and sink pipe
- Basic Electric like install an outlet in kitchen, hood, fan
- Construction like painting, replace the cabinet, repair the frames, install a ceramic and tiles
Kitchen renovation with full gutting of existing kitchen
Kitchen renovation with the full gutting of existing kitchen, floor, ceiling and walls. Size approx. 12x15 ft. Insulation of exterior wall. Tile or floating floor. Move some plumbing and electrical. New kitchen cabinets to be installed.