94% of people are satisfied with Smart Reno
5 fenêtres coulissantes à remplacer
Full reno of 3 piece basement bathroom
First time I used your service and it worked well for me; I will use it again
Michael, North York
Tile for kitchen and foyer
The contractor was amazing.
He is a professional, he was ture to his word with the workmanship and the finish date
I would highly recommended this company
I have recieved many complements on my floors already. It's so nice when you get what you pay for I'm very happy
Gloria , Mississauga
Why choose Smart Reno?
Get in touch with the best contractors in your area with Smart Reno! With our reliable service, you avoid all the bad surprises! Submit your bathroom remodeling project today!
All our contractors are verified
- Client reviews
- Background check
Tips and tricks for a bathroom renovation
The bathroom is one of the most-used rooms in your home. This makes it a prime candidate for remodeling. A bathroom renovation can seem complicated because you have to balance the design and look that you want with layout and features that are functional and will stand up to daily use for the long term. A qualified contractor and quality materials can help you achieve everything that you need with your bathroom renovation.
Whether you are performing a basic upgrade or embarking on a complete bathroom renovation, these tips and tricks can help make the process smoother, from planning to installing, to the final coat of paint:
Plan ahead: much like the kitchen, a bathroom renovation is one of the most popular projects. This is why we advise you to plan this type of work in advance. This will allow you to have the choice of contractors and in the end, get a better price.
Define a realistic budget: according to the budget that you set for your project, be careful about the choice of materials. If heavy plumbing work is to be expected, this can significantly increase the bill. Your contractor can help you with these choices to stay within your budget.
Compare several contractors: it is often repeated, but it is even more true for rooms like the bathroom, compare several quotes and meet the contractors! The price will be important, but the expertise and seriousness of the contractor will also count.
Anticipate the unexpected: providing an amount for extras is always a good idea. Indeed, delays or extra material costs can happen. Allow for 10% in your budget for unexpected costs to avoid unpleasant surprises.
How much does it cost to renovate a bathroom?
Bathroom renovation costs depend on the location (are you in Toronto or somewhere else?), size of the room, and type of features and amenities that you want. Small bathrooms might have a lower price tag, but not necessarily. If you choose to add features like a claw-foot tub, stainless steel counters, stone accents or double sinks, the price tag could rise, though you can always make up for this increase in other areas. You can balance your bathroom renovations so that the overall price tag is comparable to a bathroom without high-end features.
What is the bathroom for? Is it the home’s main bathroom or a smaller powder room or basement bathroom? Regardless of size and location, certain features like new shower heads, bathroom faucets or a bathroom vanity are common aspects of an upgrade. The cost of materials and installation will affect the overall price tag.
You do not want to opt for improvements that are too cheap. Stainless steel, quality bathroom vanities or bathroom faucets will have lower maintenance costs and better longevity. This is even the case in secondary basement bathrooms. The bathroom renovation investment will pay off for the long term if you opt for quality in materials and when it comes to installation professionals.
Example of price for a bathroom renovation project
Bathroom renovation of 150 ft2
|Type of renovation||Predictable budget|
|Economic $||$11,000 to $17,000|
|Standard $$||$14,000 to $21,000|
|High end $$$||$18,000 to $28,000|
Ideas for a successful bathroom renovation?
Think about a design plan
To renovate your bathroom, it's best to start with a design that meets your needs. This can be done by yourself or you can leave it to a professional designer.
Do not neglect ventilation
There is a lot of humidity in a bathroom, so you need good ventilation in this room, especially if you choose to have a material such as wood in your bathroom. If you want your bathroom to last, make sure your contractor understands this aspect will be taken into account in the renovation.
Choosing the right lighting
The bathroom is a room that may require different types of lighting. Certainly, you can appreciate bright lighting in this room but it can also be interesting to reduce the lighting for a more subdued atmosphere when you take a bath.
A bath or a shower?
Hesitant to choose between a shower and a bath? If you have a small space, your best choice is to put in a shower. It will also be less expensive. If your bathroom is big, you could also enjoy a bath. However, this choice is a personal one!
Our tips for renovating a bathroom at a low price
Like the kitchen, the bathroom is one of the rooms that can be expensive to renovate. Here are some tips that will help reduce your budget:
Here are some tips that will help you reduce your budget:
- Avoid redoing the plumbing: when you start renovating a bathroom, reviewing the complete organization of the room can be tempting. However, this can lead to significant plumbing work. To avoid this, try to keep the shower and bath in the same place.
- Optimize the storage space: Additional shelves above the toilet can add valuable storage and it will not cost a fortune.
- Opt for a laminate floor: If you have a limited flooring budget to invest flooring such as hardwood or ceramic, laminate can be a very good alternative option. Laminate is resistant to water and that its maintenance and very easy.
- Repaint ceramic wall: If you do not want jump into major renovations, repainting the existing ceramic could be a good idea and will give a new fresh look to your bathroom.
Tips & Tricks
"By doing business with a contractor, you'll learn how to create your dream bathroom on a smaller budget, or how to accurately replicate the style you're looking for with the best materials that follow the latest trends. You will also have a clearer idea of the price that it will cost."
How to renovate a tiled bathroom?
Tiling is very trendy way to add style and personality to a bathroom. It comes in different models and colors. The possibilities of styles, shapes and sizes are endless.
To renovate a tiled room, you will have to decide if you want to opt for the same type of flooring or if you want to change it: ceramic, plain, etc. The choice of materials, such as ceramic and hardwood for your floor, will influence the total cost of the project.
2 Bathrooms renovation project
Installation of pre-build vanity to install in our basement bathroom (removal of existing vanity)
Please note - vanity should slip in as space is 36.5inches but may need to be framed (have a lot of framing wood) since there will be a gap, also plumbing comes from the floor not from the wall so vanity may need to be moved forward slightly - there are 4 inches to play with. Cut a butcher block counter (already purchased) into shelves for exposed cupboard shelves
- Installation of a sink cabinet with 2 drawers. Please note, plumbing comes out of the floor and cannot be moved into the wall (would be great if you could build a box around existing plumbing so not exposed)
- Moving shower head up 3-4 inches. Please note, the shower head is on drywall and plumbing is accessible from a wall behind (we have replacement drywall as needed)
- Ceramic floor installation. Tiles already purchased (tiny and lighter in color)
- Please note, the entire bathroom may be 4ft by 6ft (it is tiny!)
- Sliding door installation/removal of existing door and replacement - will have to frame the inside (we have the wood)
Installation of 2 doors upstairs (doors are purchased and in our home)
We can purchase all materials needed prior to start of work.
Bathroom renovation project
1. Purchase and install shower glass door (the door to be purchased by the contractor)
2. Tile and grout shower walls 5 ft x 5 ft
3. Install shower faucets and sink faucets (we will purchase faucets)
4. Tile and grout shower floor approx. 5 ft x 5 ft
5. Plaster all areas as needed
6. Prime and paint exposed drywall 5 ft x 5 ft
7. Install vanity with faucets (we will purchase both vanities)
8. Install new toilet (we will purchase)
9. Install new light fixture (we will purchase)
10. Install light switch and receptacle
11. Frame, drywall area beside shower 5 ft x 5 ft
12. Install shelving (we will purchase shelving)
Extending old bathroom
Extending old bathroom from 40 sq feet to 130 sq feet. in basement apartment.we have all the new furnishing, lights, toilet and vanity. We need the shell to be built plus plumed and wired.