94% of people are satisfied with Smart Reno
Finishing touches on a bathroom
Good work got the job done quickly left no mess behind
We could not be more happy with our kitchen or the contractor! They did a fabulous job, were great communicators, have excellent vendors and were really nice people who we really enjoyed working with.
They were respectful of our budget, our time and we would recommend them to anyone.
Complete a bathroom renovation
The contractor was incredible. He was there everyday, worked full days and got the job done in a timely manner. He did a beautiful job and we are very pleased with all that he did. He took a very bad situation and made it beautiful, exactly what was wanted. I couldn't have asked for better. Thank you.
Why choose Smart Reno?
Get in touch with the best contractors in your area with Smart Reno! With our reliable service, you avoid all the bad surprises! Submit your bathroom remodeling project today!
All our contractors are verified
- Client reviews
- Background check
Tips and tricks for a bathroom renovation
The bathroom is one of the most-used rooms in your home. This makes it a prime candidate for remodeling. A bathroom renovation can seem complicated because you have to balance the design and look that you want with layout and features that are functional and will stand up to daily use for the long term. A qualified contractor and quality materials can help you achieve everything that you need with your bathroom renovation.
Whether you are performing a basic upgrade or embarking on a complete bathroom renovation, these tips and tricks can help make the process smoother, from planning to installing, to the final coat of paint:
Plan ahead: much like the kitchen, a bathroom renovation is one of the most popular projects. This is why we advise you to plan this type of work in advance. This will allow you to have the choice of contractors and in the end, get a better price.
Define a realistic budget: according to the budget that you set for your project, be careful about the choice of materials. If heavy plumbing work is to be expected, this can significantly increase the bill. Your contractor can help you with these choices to stay within your budget.
Compare several contractors: it is often repeated, but it is even more true for rooms like the bathroom, compare several quotes and meet the contractors! The price will be important, but the expertise and seriousness of the contractor will also count.
Anticipate the unexpected: providing an amount for extras is always a good idea. Indeed, delays or extra material costs can happen. Allow for 10% in your budget for unexpected costs to avoid unpleasant surprises.
How much does it cost to renovate a bathroom?
Bathroom renovation costs depend on the location (are you in Toronto or somewhere else?), size of the room, and type of features and amenities that you want. Small bathrooms might have a lower price tag, but not necessarily. If you choose to add features like a claw-foot tub, stainless steel counters, stone accents or double sinks, the price tag could rise, though you can always make up for this increase in other areas. You can balance your bathroom renovations so that the overall price tag is comparable to a bathroom without high-end features.
What is the bathroom for? Is it the home’s main bathroom or a smaller powder room or basement bathroom? Regardless of size and location, certain features like new shower heads, bathroom faucets or a bathroom vanity are common aspects of an upgrade. The cost of materials and installation will affect the overall price tag.
You do not want to opt for improvements that are too cheap. Stainless steel, quality bathroom vanities or bathroom faucets will have lower maintenance costs and better longevity. This is even the case in secondary basement bathrooms. The bathroom renovation investment will pay off for the long term if you opt for quality in materials and when it comes to installation professionals.
Example of price for a bathroom renovation project
Bathroom renovation of 150 ft2
|Type of renovation||Predictable budget|
|Economic $||$11,000 to $17,000|
|Standard $$||$14,000 to $21,000|
|High end $$$||$18,000 to $28,000|
Ideas for a successful bathroom renovation?
Think about a design plan
To renovate your bathroom, it's best to start with a design that meets your needs. This can be done by yourself or you can leave it to a professional designer.
Do not neglect ventilation
There is a lot of humidity in a bathroom, so you need good ventilation in this room, especially if you choose to have a material such as wood in your bathroom. If you want your bathroom to last, make sure your contractor understands this aspect will be taken into account in the renovation.
Choosing the right lighting
The bathroom is a room that may require different types of lighting. Certainly, you can appreciate bright lighting in this room but it can also be interesting to reduce the lighting for a more subdued atmosphere when you take a bath.
A bath or a shower?
Hesitant to choose between a shower and a bath? If you have a small space, your best choice is to put in a shower. It will also be less expensive. If your bathroom is big, you could also enjoy a bath. However, this choice is a personal one!
Our tips for renovating a bathroom at a low price
Like the kitchen, the bathroom is one of the rooms that can be expensive to renovate. Here are some tips that will help reduce your budget:
Here are some tips that will help you reduce your budget:
- Avoid redoing the plumbing: when you start renovating a bathroom, reviewing the complete organization of the room can be tempting. However, this can lead to significant plumbing work. To avoid this, try to keep the shower and bath in the same place.
- Optimize the storage space: Additional shelves above the toilet can add valuable storage and it will not cost a fortune.
- Opt for a laminate floor: If you have a limited flooring budget to invest flooring such as hardwood or ceramic, laminate can be a very good alternative option. Laminate is resistant to water and that its maintenance and very easy.
- Repaint ceramic wall: If you do not want jump into major renovations, repainting the existing ceramic could be a good idea and will give a new fresh look to your bathroom.
Tips & Tricks
"By doing business with a contractor, you'll learn how to create your dream bathroom on a smaller budget, or how to accurately replicate the style you're looking for with the best materials that follow the latest trends. You will also have a clearer idea of the price that it will cost."
How to renovate a tiled bathroom?
Tiling is very trendy way to add style and personality to a bathroom. It comes in different models and colors. The possibilities of styles, shapes and sizes are endless.
To renovate a tiled room, you will have to decide if you want to opt for the same type of flooring or if you want to change it: ceramic, plain, etc. The choice of materials, such as ceramic and hardwood for your floor, will influence the total cost of the project.
Toilet, bathtub and shower installation and add tiles on wall
- Need to remove old bathtub, remove old cabinets, remove old ceiling fan. The old toilet has already been removed.
- Need to install the new toilet, new bathtub and shower head with tiles on walls around the bathtub, new cupboard cabinet with the sink on top, new medicine chest and mirror to be mounted on the wall, new ceiling fan, new light over mirror.
- Most of existing drywall is in good shape except for the section of wall at the end of the bathtub ( 30" x 5') and part of the ceiling (2' x 5'). These sections need to be replaced.
- Need the floor to be tiled with ceramic tiles. I will do the painting myself once the job is finished.
I am just looking for an average quality tub, toilet, tiles, and cabinets... not top end.
Bathroom dimensions - 5' x 8' x 7' high
Master bath renovation
Master bath renovation,
1) existing raised tub deck with sunken tub,
2) existing 36" x 30" drywall & tile shower stall,
3) remove existing 60" vanity
4) existing tile floor,
5) existing tile walls @ tub deck
1) new tile floor approx. 100 s.f. floor tile
2) new 3 sides board & tile @ shower 72 s.f.
3) new drywall board where raised tub deck removed
4) Install supplied 59" free standing tub
5) install suppled new 60" vanity double sinks
6) four LED pot light & three wall sconces
7) New supplied shower valve & head
8) install supplied toilet
9) some skim coating of ceiling where shower walls removed
10) new supplied 36" glass wall @ shower
11) generally good access
Attached is sketch @ 1/2" = 1"0"
note all plumbing, light, tub, toilet & vanity will be suppled by customer, Contractor to provide all labour, board, tile @ $4.00 s.f., paint, caulking, wiring, plumbing pipe etc.
Complete bathroom renovation
Project Description: (second floor)
• Remove existing tiles
• Disconnect the plumbing
• Remove current bathtub
• Remove current vanity
• Dispose garbage
• Supply and install drywall, mud and tape where needed
• Install new shower enclosure supplied by the homeowner
• Supply and install cement board for the shower
• Supply and install the needed plumbing
• Supply and install pot light in the shower
• Install vanity light supplied by the homeowner
• Install wall tiles for shower supplied by the homeowner
• Install faucets, vanity
• Install floor tile supplied by the homeowner
• Supply and Install quarter round
Remove vanity in master bathroom and install the new double sink
vanity supplied by the homeowner